Smart Tips For Smooth House Moves
It is said that moving to a new house is more stressful than divorce but relocating home doesn’t need to be a nightmare. The trick to a smooth house move is in the planning… the more you plan, the easier your move will be. Here are some helpful hints from the team at Perth based moving supplies company Box n’ Crate Hire, providers of packing boxes, moving crates and all your house moving supplies in Perth, Western Australia – A Guide to Packing Made Easy.
First Things First:
- Make a packing priority list.
- Take photos of all valuable belongings and record the serial numbers of all your electronic equipment.
- Check that your contents insurance will cover damage to your belongings during a move.
- Notify your electricity and gas companies that you are moving.
- Arrange for disconnection and reconnection of telephone, Internet and TV services.
- Arrange to have your mail re-directed at the post office.
- Keep a list of incoming mail and start notifying organisations of your change of address.
- Australia Post will contact most major companies on your behalf.
- If you have young children or pets, organise care for them during moving day.
- Treat yourself and arrange for a cleaning service to take care of cleaning your old house.
Tools Of The Trade:
You’ll need to stock up on these items before you begin packing:
- Strong Boxes in various sizes. Buy a variety of cardboard moving boxes or hire plastic packing crates from Box n’ Crate Hire Perth… these will save you heaps of time as you don’t have to build boxes!
- Wardrobe Boxes.
- Mattress Bags.
- Furniture Covers.
- Bubble Wrap.
- Wrapping/Butchers Paper.
- Packing Tape.
- Trolleys & Furniture Dollies.
- Permanent Marker Pens.
- Furniture/Storage Blankets.
- Cable Ties.
Bag It, Wrap It, Pack It:
- Packing often takes a lot longer than we anticipate, start early to avoid a stressful
- lead-up to moving day!
- Pack items that you don’t need on a day to day basis first.
- Be systematic, pack one room at a time and clearly label each box with its contents and the room it belongs in.
- Pack heavy items in smaller boxes to ensure that the boxes aren’t too heavy to carry. Keep the weight of packed boxes minimal to help avoid back injuries.
- Use bubble wrap or wrapping paper to protect fragile items.
- Use moving blankets to wrap and cushion breakable items.
- When packing, place the heavier items at the bottom of the box and top with lighter items.
- Use plastic zip ties or tape to secure rolled up power leads and cords for electrical equipment.
- Clearly label each cord with its respective appliance or intended use.
- Use Zip lock bags for small bits and pieces that usually clutter your drawers.
- Pack important items, valuables and documents such as certificates, passports or jewellery separately and keep them with you.
- Roll up your carpets and rugs and secure with rope or tape.
- Pack an overnight bag for everyone including a change of clothes, towels and toiletries.
A Simple Moving Home Tip For Zero Hour
Pack a box or two of essentials you’ll need for the first hours in your new home: tea or coffee, kettle, mugs & teaspoons, water bottle, snacks, milk, pet food, baby food, first aid kit, toilet paper, a torch, spare light bulbs, paper towels and detergents. Don’t forget unpacking tools such as scissors, box cutters and heavy-duty garbage bags.
The Heavy Stuff
- When you dismantle your bed, bind the frames together with tape or rope.
- Remove the legs of tables where ever possible to allow for easier packing into a moving truck, put any screws or Allen keys in a zip lock bag and tape it to one of the legs.
- It is a good idea to use a sturdy hand trolley or platform dolly to shift items like heavy white goods and pot plants. These are available for hire from the Perth moving supply experts Box n’ Crate Hire.
Once In The New Place
- Avoid ending up with a daunting pile of packed boxes by delivering them straight to their allocated rooms.
- Unpack beds and bedding first so you won’t have to deal with it late at night.
- Approach your unpacking in the same way you packed; your essential items first, then systematically unpack one room at a time.
Find Your Happy Place
Try to take any mishaps in your stride and remain calm. Because no matter how organised you are,
something is bound to surprise you along the way!
Which Company In Perth Can Help Me Move House?
Box n’ Crate Hire – that’s who! We make packing easy with everything you need to move home; packing boxes, moving crates and all your moving supplies. Phone our friendly Perth removalist supply team on 1300 323 779 or simply visit www.boxncratehire.com.au for easy and secure online ordering with next day delivery in Perth!
Need A Local Perth Removalist?
Do you need a local Perth Removalist? We offer a professional and affordable local Removal Service with Valu Move. Just tell us your Box n’ Crate Hire invoice number and get $50 OFF the total cost of your removal using Valu Move – Removalist Perth.
Download Our Free Guide To Moving House
Make moving home a breeze, with these useful moving tips from Perth packing supplies company Box n’ Crate Hire. We know that moving to a new house can be stressful, but our handy guide to moving home using our cost-effective range of quality packing boxes, moving crates and range of home moving supplies has you covered. Download your guide to a smooth move now and share it with everyone involved in your next move!